Free TV software for Windows XP through 10.
A half decent graphics card, .NET 4.0, a DVB-T/S/C/ATSC tuner.
It looks like this.
Many thanks to Steve for thoroughly testing these builds for me. Without his help this app would probably go nowhere as I don't have a TV signal.
Show all changes
184.108.40.206 (Current Build)
- Sorry, one more intermittent issue with H.264 playback. Also a weird channel detection thing for Albania.
- Fixes a slow memory leak and a couple of odd-ball errors. This is hopefully the last update for a while.
- Addresses more issues collected over the last couple of weeks. Shout out to Steve, Valentin, Kay and Jack for testing.
- Addresses a couple of minor issues collected for build 160.
- Refined OSD.
- 15 second skip.
- Click + drag the play button to adjust speed.
- Basic video editor added for slicing/trimming TS recordings.
- Re-clocking of recordings added for improved playout support in some 3rd party software.
- New "zoom" F2 stretch mode.
- Show Info > Record Series now brings up a configurable list of channels/times.
- New Setup > Advanced > Customise timeshift buffer size.
- New Setup > Advanced > Disable Now/Next graphics.
- New Setup > Advanced > Disable menu on full screen video.
- Improved slaved tuner behaviour for DLNA clients.
- Fixes a few occasional errors collected over the past month.
- Internal tidy up, courtesy of the folks over at PVS-Studio. Seems like a really decent static code analyser.
- Addresses a couple of build 156 issues collected throughout the week. This will be the last release for a while.
- Turns out I forgot to test XP. 157 fixes 156 from yesterday. Sorry about that.
- New PiP capability -- Ctrl + Click in guide to play multiple channels in new windows without affecting the main player, if you have enough tuners or all of the channels are on the same transponder. Live playout only for now.
- New Color Scheme Designer under Setup > Advanced.
- New SAT>IP option under Setup > Network. It treats servers like a normal tuner and controls front-ends explicitly. Each enabled virtual tuner will show up as a discrete device under Setup > TV Sources, available for the usual channel scanning, slave configuration etc.
- You can now search by channel name in the guide (start typing letters.) This meant that a few shortcuts had to change to free up all letter keys for normal typing. See F1 for latest shortcuts.
- Keypad +/- for volume.
- I'm now collecting more information about tuner drivers for better reporting on the homepage (driver name, manufacturer, version and date.) Will revisit the "supported devices" report once a reasonable amount of new data has accumulated.
- Multi-tuner refinements -- if a device fails to open or lock the signal during recording, it'll try use slaves instead. EPG scanning now happens in the background on a slave tuner when available.
- Fixed external monitor issue when the primary screen is on the right.
- UI tweaks.
- Clicking on the time will directly open the recording schedule.
- New 'Show windows taskbar during fullscreen' option under Setup > Advanced.
- Adds Galician language option.
- A couple of minor fixes.
- Addresses a few issues collected over the last two weeks.
- Cleaned up TV > Recordings layout.
- Channel headings can now be selected in the guide, which displays the full lineup for that channel.
- New option under Setup > Advanced to use *.sichbo-pvr file extensions instead of *.ts for recordings. Some Windows 10 installations struggle to thumbnail mpeg2 *.ts files and lock up Windows Explorer in the process -- so this is one work-around.
- New start up options to play, open guide, or do nothing.
- Update EPG button in Explorer.
- MPEG2 DXVA1 support for Windows XP.
- Fixes a few errors collected over the past few months.
Addresses a few bugs collected over the last couple of weeks (EBU subtitles, occasional crashes.)
- Fixes a couple of minor teething issues that were in build 147 (gimpy DXVA2 IDCT decoding on some NVidia cards, 'start minimised' restoration glitch, playback error when encountering some subtitle streams.)
- Support for some DXVA2 IDCT modes.
- Deleted the avcodec dependency that was being used for generating thumbnails.
- Fix for playback of in-progress recordings.
- Deprecated "Minimise to tray" and replaced with a "Minimise to tray instead of exiting" option. So from now on, just hit the close/x button instead of minimise. To actually shut off the program, use the system tray icon > exit option.
- F1 tab persistence.
- Transponder dump context menu now shows up even if there's no channel boxen in the list.
- Fixed broken left/right time navigation for epg.
- Playback will no longer automatically start when a scheduled record begins, and live TV is off. Some people were leaving the app open but in a stopped state.
- Fix for Windows shortcuts that are configured to "Run: Maximised".
- I've split up the record queue/history in the series editor.
- More accurate/streamlined frequency sharing and telemetry.
- Added a confirmation/prompt for series deletions.
- Setup > Advanced > XMLTV support. Just select your data folder, then tick whichever sources need it XMLTV. The xml schema's channel-ids should auto resolve based on channel number/callsign, or you can specify them manually in individual channel settings. XMLTV folder is checked for new data every time regular background EPG scanning occurs or when you "scan now" under F1 > Status.
- MCE remote improvements (Windows/guide/recordings button should open the app from system tray now under Win 10.)
- Missing channels fix for some users.
- Manifest updated for correct Win 10 OSVersion detection.
- The time field is now optional when scheduling "Specific dates and times", so you can catch a particular day, but for any time slot.
- Added some extra keyboard shortcuts.
- Auto-backup/restore in the event of corrupted settings after a system restore or crash.
- Couple of subtitle fixes.
- Added a work-around for some drivers that weren't pumping data. Thanks to Fred over at Hauppauge for his help on that one.
- F1 -> Status now has an immediate EPG scan button.
- Couple of minor tweaks for the DLNA server and DXVA2 decoder.
- Basic record/queue scheduling added to mobile/web interface.
- Setup > Advanced > Tweakage > Let the display shut off during playback option.
- F1 help screen cleaned up a bit.
- DXVA2 decoder improvements.
- Numerous performance improvements, code cleanups and fixes.
- New customisable background EPG update interval under setup > advanced.
- Automatically expunges recording history entries after 14 days, also does some housekeeping on the series list under recordings.
- Improvements to sleep handling with a workaround for drivers that don't handle sleep gracefully. Under the Setup > Device Name > Advanced you can now untick "Close this device when not in use".
- Record > Schedule > Series editor refinements.
- New "Add SichboPVR to the Windows start-up folder" option under Setup > Advanced.
- Minor fixes.
- Setup > Advanced > Pad recordings option.
- Setup > Advanced > Minimize to tray option.
- Fix for some DVBS cards not switching diseqc port.
- Setup > Advanced > Wake the computer for recordings. You need to configure Control Panel > Power Options > Sleep > Allow wake timers for it to work though.
- DLNA/UPnP Server + Client.
- Minor refinements.
Note that mileage in terms of timeshift seeking on dlna players will vary. My Samsung bluray won't seek at all, neither will XBMC or Windows Media Player, but a relatively modern (2013) Sony Bravia TV media player supports it OK-ish, even though it doesn't really implement the DLNA spec "sliding window" correctly. At bare minimum, most players should be able to at least watch live tv and pause/resume. UPnP EPG containers are implemented but the only client I'm aware of that supports UPnP EPG is SichboPVR itself. Evidently you can now run SichboPVR as a background server and then configure thin clients on your home network to sync with it. DLNA Recording Service is disabled for time being though.
There's also an "Add firewall rule" under Setup > Network so it can automatically fix the windows firewall rule with each new version update.
- Updated expiring code signing certificate.
- Tvheadend support (EPG/play/timeshift only for now.) Massive thanks to mpmc for helping me get linux/tvheadend set up and for all of his tireless testing. Also perexg for some useful insights into tvheadend.
- Channel Logos (automatically searches the picons.bitbucket.org library, please contribute to their great little project if you can.) If you don't like logos you can disable them under Setup > Advanced. See sichbopvr.com/help#logos for more details.
- Other little fixes and refinements.
- Workaround for Windows installations that are missing ISO 8859-14 Celtic code page data (which is all of them as far as I can see.)
Text decoding support for
ISO/IEC 8859-10 (Nordic)
ISO/IEC 8859-11 (Thai)
ISO/IEC 8859-14 (Celtic)
KSX1001-2004 (S Korean)
... that should be all of them now.
- New Setup > Advanced > "Use Broadcaster's Clock" feature. This allows for accurate EPG sync for recordings. The time shown inside the app becomes the exact time as reported by the broadcaster.
- New Setup > Advanced > "Force manual on/off recording" feature. For countries having hopelessly unreliable EPG scheduling.
- New ability to define multiple "Folder Channels" and a new related "TV > Folders" area.
- Perpetual background video indexing.
- Cleaned up "TV > Recordings" area.
- Cleaned up fly-out panes such as the channel editor, show info, etc.
- ATSC users can now override the atsc-style decimal channel numbering if desired.
- Made the database engine a little bit more resilient against write-through failures.
- Other minor fixes.
- Guide text decoding fix.
- Support for manual ad-hoc recording when no show data is available (click to start, again to stop.)
- Right-click channels in TV > Explorer to quickly add/remove from lists or take a Transponder Dump.
- EBU Teletext fix for a particular channel in Australia.
- Thinned out the app a little bit. Removed the experimental "F3" server and the superfluous Setup > Advanced console (use TV > Explorer for same frequency testing/TS dump functions.)
- Device handling tweaks.
- Other minor refinements and fixes.
- New "Audio & TV Guide Data" language preference under Setup > Advanced. This is now used for selecting the audio channel and epg data selection.
- Closed Captions for some regions. A "CC" button will appear if supported. Click to cycle. Modes for which I had samples were DVB ETSI 300 743 (UK DVB-T2, bitmap mode only), EBU Teletext (Australia, et al), CEA 608 and 708 (US/Canada.) If anybody spots something gimpy or CCs undetected, feel free to send me transponder dumps.
- Timeshift can be toggled on/off using a new button on the control bar.
- DXVA2 fixes for some sources.
- Addressed a couple of UX issues.
- Performance improvements.
- Prevent Windows from starting background Automatic Maintenance due to "idle" CPU during playback.
- Energy efficiency improvements.
- Davix's "jump" fix (I hope.)
- New "reset settings" option under advanced.
- F1/help shows video card DXVA2 info, more shortcut keys.
- Other minor refinements.
- H265/HEVC DXVA2 refinement.
- Text encoding fix.
- Another de-interlace fix.
- Timeshift fixes.
- Mpeg2 deinterlace fix.
- Win 8.0 fix.
- Field testing 4k H.265/HEVC DXVA2 (Currently only latest generation Intel HD drivers support DXVA_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main, although it seems to be CPU-bound on a HD 4400 at present. Possibly a future driver update from Intel might move more of the work onto the GPU. Must select "(DXVA2 Video Decoder)" under advanced H265Video.)
- Better per-monitor high dpi support for win 8.1.
- Background epg update refinement.
- Minor fixes.
New System tray icon.
Right click to "Run in background". It should be reasonably good about keeping tuners powered-down/off and CPU low unless it's actually recording or doing something. It will also fire up any connected tuners and try locking a known working E/EPG transponder every hour or so.
New TV > Recordings > Schedule area.
Define weekday/time/channel rules for a series, or just give it a bunch of different shows with a "recording priority" and let it go to town selecting the best from each timeslot from any old channel. The default setting is to not record any duplicate episode descriptions, but you can override for lazy broadcasters who always put in the same generic description.
- You can also click "Create a series or show manually" if no EPG data exists and use the "Specific channel(s) and time(s)" option and un-tick "Only record if guide data matches dates/times".
- New Setup > Advanced > Start in background setting. Double click the tray to open.
- New Setup > Advanced > Independent volume control.
- Various other fixes and tweaks.
- DVBC fix for win7. Thanks to John and Eric @ astrometa for testing.
- Field testing some sdk bits (hi-DPI support on beefy video cards, native dxva2, et al.)
- Removed directx runtime dependency.
- Improved timeshifting.
- Setup > Channels filter.
- UI tweaks.
- Audio channel toggling.
- Volume control.
- Interaction improvements.
- Video engine enhancements.
- Build 101 "data workaround" rollback.
- Show day names on EPG.
- Guide data workaround for some odd-ball cable provider.
- Timeshift folder option.
- Lock fix for advanced console.
- Device experiment.
- Minor fix for Mini Mode.
- Minor direct3d performance fixes and enhancements.
- Thanks to cjcr-soft.com for helping fix a problem with the TERRATEC T-Stick PLUS Filter.
- New tuner compatibility experiments.
- Forced to always use Turbosight's custom diseqc interface for Prof/TBS tuners, even when BDA_DiseqCommand is advertised within the topology (their implementation doesn't appear to actually work.)
- Double-click anywhere to toggle Full-Screen.
- Middle-click anywhere to toggle Mini-Mode.
- Introduced a longer delay prior to signal lock testing and removed signal quality > 0 restraint on channel scans.
- Mini Mode no longer hides OSD until mouse out of the entire application window.
- Linked-tuner refinements.
Tuner linking support
See Setup > device > "Link to device" to make it act as a slave for another tuner's configuration for multi-channel recording etc.
Option to disable unified tuning model
See Setup > device > Advanced console.
- Mini-mode now requires click to activate OSD.
Unlimited channel lists.
Easier access to "All Channel" DVBT/C frequency lists.
- Guide fixed for some users.
- Some layout tweaks for languages having longer text.
- RC interaction improvements.
- Shift Key to batch highlight/tick rows in channel picker.
- Auto select transponder channels having the stronger OTA signal level for duplicate ServiceIDs (attempt at correcting DVB-T transmission cell overlaps.)
- Misc UI related tweaks.
- DVB-T2 support.
- ISO 13818-3/AMD-1 Audio fix (MPEG-4 LATM AAC Audio, actually needs an "AAC (LAOS)" media type to work with the Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio decoder.)
- Thanks to Mark for the DVB-T2 sample!
- Delayed recording fix.
- EPG performance improvement.
- Sources.xml automatically updates via www based on live NIT data from other users.
- UI tweaks.
- Custom channel sorting / list renaming (see Setup > Channels.)
- F5 to toggle desktop "mini mode".
- Better use of space on the guide channel names.
- Fix for some hardware drivers that may encounter "glitches" or "skipping" due to slow behaving signal statistic updates.
- ATSC PSI fixes.
- Fix for REALTEK DVBT devices.
- Reinstated GoToN feature w/ controller.
- ATSC fix.
- Scanning tweaks.
- Localisation bug fix.
- Touch input refinement.
220.127.116.11 - (first general public preview)
- F1 to bring up advanced options.
- Haven't been able to find anyone to test DVB-T/C/ATSC yet. Maybe someone can give it a crack and let me know if it works.
- Customisable colour schemes are planned.